An interview with Marjorie Goldner, Co-Founder of PregPrep
1. What advice do you have for women who are trying to get pregnant?
- Make sure you are timing it right. This is THE number one key to success. Pinpoint your fertile window by tracking your monthly cycle and subtracting 14 from the length of time between menstruations. (If your cycle is 30 days then you will most likely ovulate on day 16). Try an ovulation predictor kit if you need more help.
- Try to have sex on the 5 days leading up to ovulation. Sperm live for 3-5 days and maybe even longer in some cases. The egg only lives for a day. So the sperm need to be waiting for the egg to drop.
- Avoid using lubricants during sex, as most are not friendly to sperm.
- Get your partner to up his zinc intake and make sure he keeps his important parts cool and loose to ensure a high sperm count. (No hot tubs, and choose boxers over briefs.)
- Keep your body healthy, your mind calm, and have fun! This is a wonderful time in women’s lives and it should be approached with joy and excitement.
2. What inspired you to create PregPrep?
We launched PregPrep to help all women who are ready to get pregnant.
My partner (and sister in law), who is an interventional cardiologist, conceived the idea for PregPrep when she was trying to get pregnant with her first child. In her mid-thirties at that time and eager to start a family, Lara’s eagerness turned into great impatience as the months flew by and nothing was happening. But while researching ways to conceive naturally and quickly, she had her “aha” moment.
Lara read about mucolytics, compounds commonly found in cold and cough medicines to thin out mucus in the lungs. Her research suggested that mucolytics might also help thin out cervical mucus, allowing sperm to travel more easily to the egg.
She tried her theory on herself and was pregnant the first month she tried. To her surprise, and on further investigation, she discovered that OB/GYNs and fertility specialists often recommend mucolytics as a conception aid.
Lara then realized that she wanted all women trying to conceive to know about this natural, easy, and safe alternative to help speed along the pregnancy journey. And, as we learned doing research, healthy women in their twenties have just a 20-25% chance of conceiving each month. After age thirty that statistic drops down to 15% and once you pass forty, chances are only 5% per month. We wanted to help women boost their conception odds each month.
So Lara and I decided to team up (I have a marketing background) and create PregPrep, a Company dedicated to helping women with their pregnancy journey. We did years of research and consulted with top OB/GYNs before developing a trio of products including FertilPrep, a mucolytic derived from a naturally occurring amino acid that is also a potent antioxidant (unlike the compounds used in cough syrups). We have brought to all women – regardless of their age or stage of their conception journey – the products we couldn’t find when we were trying to have babies.
3. How is PregPrep different from prenatal vitamins?
PregPrep has taken the guess work out of prenatal vitamins by packaging all the essential nutrients and vitamins a woman needs in one simple, easy to use kit. Our 3 products work together to optimize a woman’s chances of conceiving and primes her body for pregnancy.
Our prenatal vitamin (VitaMelt) contain folic acid, an absolutely essential supplement for any woman trying to conceive. Studies have shown that adequate folic acid intake may reduce a woman’s risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord birth defect. Our VitaMelts also include Vitamin D and B12, both of which are designed to support normal ovulation. They are streamlined for only pre-conception and do not make you sick or constipated.
PregPrep’s FertilPrep contains NAC (N-acetyl Cysteine). NAC is a natural mucolytic that dissolves viscous mucus + thins mucus secretions. Thin cervical mucus significantly eases sperm transport, which may help facilitate fertilization. NAC is also a naturally-occurring antioxidant that reduces levels of free radicals in the body. PregPrep’s FertilPrep contains the most optimal dosages of NAC in a multi-ingredient fertility supplement available. FertilPrep is also fortified with a select blend of natural derivatives (including Chaste Berry Extract and Evening Primrose Oil) that offer further support to the quality of cervical mucus, fight free radical damage + support hormonal health.
The beneficial effects of aromatherapy have been studied + noted by many in the field of human health. Essential oils have been shown to have a calming, yet revitalizing influence that may improve the functioning of the reproductive system by acting on the hypothalamus + autonomic nervous system. Our Essential Balance Oil decreases stress. We recommend the use of this therapeutic oil as a prelude to the most crucial step on the path to conception: having sex.
4. Who should use PregPrep?
We believe that any woman trying to get pregnant should use PregPrep. We have done the research and taken the guesswork out of pre-conception vitamins for all 6 million women trying to conceive and put together a program that includes all the essential nutrients she – and her baby – need to start their pregnancy journey in a safe, healthy way. And, with PregPrep’s FertilPrep, she might just get pregnant more quickly!
5. Where can PregPrep be purchased?
PregPrep can be purchased on our website, www.pregprep.com as well as boutique pharmacies and online stores. You can see a full list of retailers on our site under store locations.
- Best piece of advice someone has given me about motherhood: HAVE FUN with your children. My 3 are now 11, 8, and 7. Yes they need to brush their teeth, do their homework and eat spinach; but they love it when we get silly having dance parties, wars over the Scrabble board, and family dinners just the 5 of us! Time truly does fly and it’s creating these small FUN memories that they will remember.
- Favorite maternity products: Designer jeans with a fabulous elastic waist and pre-natal massages (not exactly a product but a true treat to relieve the aches and pains caused by my growing belly)!
- Best gift I received during my pregnancy: The Girlfriend’s Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine. She really gives women the true lowdown on what happens to your body and mind during these exciting but sometimes stressful 9 months. Every time I was getting nervous about something along my journey, I’d pick up her book and she’d make me feel so much better.
Marjorie Jaffe Goldner is the Co-Founder of PregPrep. Marjorie comes from a Public Relations & Marketing background as the former Director of PR and Advertising for American Eagle Outfitters, former PR Manager for Ralph Lauren, Liz Claiborne and founder of M&E PR. Marjorie received her BA in English from Boston University. She resides in New York City and is a mother of three children.