Are you already passed your due date and can’t wait any longer to finally hold your baby in your arms? Here are some natural ways to help you jump-start the labor process.
- Walk: When you walk, gravity and the swaying of your hips helps draw your baby down into your pelvis. This pressure may then prime your cervix for labor and if you haven’t already had contractions, it can help your labor progress.
- Sex: Although this might seem practically impossible when your this far along in your pregnancy, it’s not a bad way to try to induce labor! Sperm contains the hormones, prostaglandins, that work to thin and dilate your cervix. Also, the hormone oxytocin, which is released during an orgasm, can trigger contractions.
- Acupuncture and Acupressure: Putting pressure on certain points of the body has the potential to stimulate uterine activity. However, these techniques are not guaranteed to work, so consider that possibility before you decide to go spend money on acupuncture. As for acupressure, you or your partner can perform this activity on your own by applying pressure with your fingers to specific spots. Two pressure points that might induce labor include about four finger-widths above the ankle bone on the inside of your leg and the webbing between your thumb and index finger.
- Relaxing: The release of oxytocin, which can induce labor, is triggered when you are relaxed. Therefore, you can try meditation, prenatal massages, or cuddling with your partner. Choose whichever activity feels the most relaxing and comfortable for you.
- Primrose oil, castor oil, and spicy food have also been shown to help induce labor. However, they may be some negative side-effects (such as an upset stomach). Therefore, it is best to consult with your doctor before giving these foods a try.